Blessing of the Multi-Faith Bridge
Bishop Greg visited the Albion Farm Gardens in Woodville on Sunday September 25 to bless a multi-faith bridge built by Philip Redman in honour of his father Max, former rector of the Parish of Maitland.
The bridge is a significant part of Maitland’s history as it was constructed from stone given by a variety of faith communities. Stone came from as far as Jerusalem, as well as from local faith groups including Anglican, Catholic, Presbyterian, Uniting, Hindu, Buddhist and Muslim. The Jewish community gave a stone from a synagogue.
Bishop Greg Thompson has also given a piece of stone from one of his earlier parishes.
The Multi-Faith Bridge used stones reclaimed from: St Johns Raymond Terrace, St Marys Maitland, St Johns Darlinghurst (donated by Bishop Greg) and St Barnabus Sydney (Anglican), St Marys Cathedral Sydney (Roman Catholic), Morpeth & East Maitland (Methodist), Maitland (Uniting Church), Lhasa, Tibet & Nanzen Ji Temple Japan (Buddhist), Shira Kawa – Go Temple, Japan (Shinto), Maitland Synagogue & Jerusalem Stone (Jewish).
Philip Redman built this bridge to commemorate his father Max Redman (1903-1972). Max was known for his generous ecumenical approach to all faiths.
Representatives from the Islamic Church and Catholic Church shared prayers at the service along with Bishop Greg who also Blessed the Bridge. Mr Milton Morris AO (former Minister for Transport & friend of Max) officially opened the Bridge.
The day was a great success with a large crowd in attendance.