Missions and the Diocese of Newcastle: In 1847 The Anglican Diocese of Newcastle was created as a Missionary Diocese.
Did you also know, that one of the earliest actions of our first Bishop, William Tyrrell, was to travel on a missionary journey with Bishop Selwyn of New Zealand, to some of the Melanesian Islands.
Mission is in our DNA. It’s part of who we are as a Diocese. The Great Commission (Matthew 28. 19-20) “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” is our foundation for how we seek, as Christians, to live our lives and share the good news.
The Diocese of Newcastle is one of the most generous supporters of external mission in the National Church.
In 2016, we collectively gave $345,508.77 through our parishes and agencies, to support the work of Mission in Australia and overseas.
At a time when demands are being placed on financial resources, we, as the Diocesan Missions Committee, give thanks for this generous and faithful response. We also acknowledge that this amount is not the definitive total of Mission giving, as there is additional giving from individuals throughout the Diocese to support the work of Mission, both in-kind and through direct giving and gifts.
The Diocesan Missions Committee exists “to support and encourage all Anglicans in the diocese of Newcastle” in enabling the spread of the gospel. Largely we do that through liaising with and sharing information from our endorsed Diocesan Mission Agencies.
These agencies are:
- Anglican Board of Missions (ABM) – in 2016 we gave $171,396.08
- Anglican Aid Abroad (AAA) – in 2016 we gave $3,082.90
- Bible Society – in 2016 we gave $4,670.04
- Bush Church Aid (BCA) – in 2016 we gave $70,887.71
- Church Army (CA) – in 2016 we gave $1,044.57
- Church Missionary Society (CMS) – in 2016 we gave $70,224.72
- Mission to Seafarers – in 2016 we gave $17,923.51
- National Home Mission Fund (NHMF) or Outreach Fund – in 2016 we gave $5,355.32
- SparkLit – in 2016 we gave $893.72
- Sharing of Ministries Abroad (SOMA) – in 2016 we gave $30.20
Members of the Diocesan Missions Committee are both elected by Synod and appointed to reflect the diversity of the agencies we support. Members of the Diocesan Missions committee are always happy to come to speak with parishes, parish councils, ministry teams, schools and other agencies, about ways in which external mission can be promoted and encouraged, and integrated into ministry.
Thank you for your ongoing, generous support.