Professional Supervision Program
The Professional Supervision Program has been developed for all clergy and parish workers in the Diocese of Newcastle.
The goals of the program are:
- The enhancement of the well-being and health of clergy and parish workers;
- The implementation of a supportive, non-critical, and non-judgmental relationship between supervisor and supervisee that will enable clergy and parish workers to grow and develop in their ministry;
- The provision of assistance to clergy and parish workers in the development of self-care;
- The development of those skills that will enable clergy and parish workers to deal more effectively with the stresses of ministry, whether they be parishioner-induced, self-induced, due to the parish environment, due to factors in the wider Diocese or as the result of a particular event;
- The development of more adult-adult relationships within the Diocese, especially between clergy, parish workers and bishops;
- The provision of a more open and honest internal culture within the Diocese;
- The development of professional supervision as a fundamental component of the culture of the Diocese.
Diocesan Register of Professional Supervisors
The professional supervisors listed in the Diocesan Register of Professional Supervisors have been approved to provide subsidised professional supervision to stipendiary clergy, deacons and priests in local ministry and stipendiary parish workers in the Anglican Diocese of Newcastle. The register is available at the following link Register of Professional Supervisors.
Clergy and parish workers are encouraged to contact a potential supervisor directly, on the basis of the information provided in this register, to negotiate an initial meeting.
A supervision contract has been prepared to support the relationship between supervisees and their supervisors. The contract should be signed by both parties and each should keep a copy. The contract does not need to be submitted to the Diocese. The contract is available at the below link.
Clergy and parish workers are responsible for meeting the costs of their supervision, however the Diocese has made provision to refund one third of the cost of supervision. Clergy and parish workers are required to submit reimbursement form 1A with the receipt: Supervision – Reimbursement Form Clergy and Church Workers
Parish Councils are invited to meet a further one third of the cost of supervision.
Where a Parish Council is unable to meet these expenses a small fund has been established to ensure that clergy and parish workers are not financially disadvantaged. Parish Councils may apply for reimbursement of up to 50% of the costs of the supervision in this case by writing to the Archdeacon for Ministry Support. Approved parishes may claim back the fees paid in relation to professional supervision using reimbursement form 1B: Supervision – Parish Reimbursement Form
Guidelines for Professional Supervisors can be found at the following link: Guidelines for Professional Supervisors
Please contact Archdeacon Arthur Copeman for further assistance at firstname.lastname@example.org or (02) 4926 3733.